Reference Books (First Floor)
- The Almanac of American Politics (REF JK1012 A44)
Provides information on federal and some state elected officials including election results.
- The Complete Book of U.S. Presidents (REF E176.1 D43)
Provides biographical information on the U.S. presidents from George Washington to George Bush.
- Congressional Quarterly’s Guide to Congress (REF JK1021 C56)
Constitutional beginnings; House and Senate history; Leadership; Seniority system reforms; Committees and subcommittees; Floor procedures; New budget control; Pay and perquisites; Ethics; Biographies, 1789-1976.
- Congressional Quarterly’s Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court (REF JK1571 C65)
The Court and the federal system; The Court and individual rights; Origins and development; Traditions, schedules, operations; Biographies of Justices; Major decisions 1790-1979.
- Encyclopedia of the American Presidency (REF JK511 E53)
Provides information on the American presidents and their terms in office.
- The Encyclopedia of the American Constitution (REF KF4548 E53)
Provides information on the Constitutional issues and court cases.
- The Encyclopedia of the United States Congress (REF JK1067 E63)
Provides information on the history and the operations of the United States Congress.
- Facts about the Presidents (REF E176.1 K3)
Provides biographical information on the U.S. presidents from George Washington to Bill Clinton.
- Oklahoma Almanac (REF JK7131 O54)
Oklahoma state government.
- United States Government Manual (REF JK421 A3)
The official handbook of the Federal Government. Provides information on the agencies of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches.
- Current Biography (CT100 C8)Dictionary of American Biography (REF E176 D563)
- Newsmakers (REF CT120 C664)
American Congressional Dictionary (REF JK9 K73)Safire’s New Political Dictionary (REF JK9 S2)
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress 1774-1989 (REF JK1010 A5)Congressional Directory (REF JK1011 U5)
- Congressional Staff Directory (REF JK1012 C65)
Online Library Catalog
The Library Catalog is an index to the library’s books and audiovisual materials. You may search the catalog from any computer with Internet access. The online card catalog can be searched in a variety of ways most notability by TITLE, AUTHOR, SUBJECT, and KEYWORD.
Examples of subject terms:
- KENNEDY, JOHN
- POLITICAL SCIENCE
- UNITED STATES -- POLITICS AND GOVERNMENT
- WOMEN -- UNITED STATES
Although an unorganized and unregulated resource, the Internet does contain valuable information. The following links may be among the most helpful for the topic.
Government Search Engines
- Oklahoma - Government
- U.S. Federal Departments and Agencies A-Z
- U.S. Executive Branch Agencies
- U.S. House of Representatives Committees
- U.S. Judicial Branch Agencies
- U.S. Legislative Branch Agencies
- U.S. Senate Committees
- U.S. State , Local , and Tribal Government Links
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Labor information and statistics. Publisher of the Occupational Outlook Handbook .
- Business.gov - Business information sponsored by the Small Business Administration.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - The official site for the CDC.
- Census - Federal, State, and Local Governments - See also Genealogy Links .
- CIA - Central Intelligence Agency.
- World Factbook - Provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.
- Civics/ U.S. Government Study Guides
- Civitas - a peer-reviewed journal that promotes scholarship concerning the Humanities and Social Sciences as they relate to citizenship studies. Articles may help with research in American studies, social studies, history, politics, or any Oklahoma-focused discipline.
- Congressional Information on the Library of Congress and other websites.
- Constitution Finder - Database offers constitutions, charters, amendments, and other related documents from around the world.
- CountryWatch - Political & Economic Intelligence, Analysis, Forecasts & News Across the Globe. Available on campus without a login. Off-campus login instructions .
- Data.gov - The United States government's open data website. Browse topics, search datasets, or download government statistics apps.
- Democracy in America Video Series - A video course in civics, covers topics of civic knowledge, skills, and dispositions recommended by The Civics Framework for the National Assessment of Educational Progress developed by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Democratic National Committee - Official site for the Democratic Party.
- The Economist Country Profiles
- Economy and Global Economic Crisis Links
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Learn about environmental issues and U.S. environmental regulations.
- The Fact Checker - A blog from the Washington Post that checks the accuracy of political statements.
- FactCheck.org - Monitors the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases.
- FDsys Databases (Formerly GPO Access)- government publications available to the public. Provided by the Government Printing Office.
- Code of Federal Regulations - Tutorial . The Code of Federal Regulations is a codification of the general and permanent rules by the Executive departments and agencies of the Federal Government.
- Core Documents of U.S. Democracy - Current and historical documents that provide information about the democratic process.
- Federal Register - Tutorial . The official daily publication for Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as Executive Orders and other Presidential Documents.
- U.S. Government Directories - Includes the Congressional Directory, committee assignments, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail addresses and the Government Manual.
- U.S. Government Manual - An online version of the United States Government Manual (1995-present).
- More FDsys Collections
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) - Resources, commissioners, major initiatives, bureaus & offices, and releases & updates.
- Federal Consumer Information Catalog - Order free consumer information brochures and pamphlets.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - Emergency disaster preparation and relief, disaster areas maps, flood insurance, and assistance.
- General Accountability Office - The investigative arm of Congress.
- Governing Magazine Online: state and local government - Free resource providing current information by and about state and local government.
- Healthcare.gov - Information on the Affordable Healthcare Act and other healthcare topics.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - Federal tax forms and instructions, publications, tax law changes, and frequently asked tax questions.
- NationMaster - World statistics and country comparisons.
- National Archives and Records Administration - The official site for the National Archives and Records Administration. Browse by Topic and Online Records Search .
- National Library of Medicine - Provides free medical databases and health information.
- NATO - The Official homepage for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) - Workplace safety information, regulations, enforcement, data & statistics, and more.
- On the Issues - "Every political leader on every issue".
- Online Library of Liberty - Hundreds of full-length classic texts which have contributed to the understanding of the nature of individual liberty, limited and constitutional government, and the free market.
- The OYEZ Project - U.S. Supreme Court multimedia database.
- Politifact - Pulitzer Prize winning website from the Tampa Bay Times. Tracks the accuracy of statements by politicians or anyone who speaks up in politics. Also tracks the fulfillment of campaign promises.
- Presidents of the United States - For Biographies see Biography Links and History see History Research Links.
- Project Vote Smart - Provides names of federal and state elected officials (Congressional and state legislative representatives) along with biographies, voting records, and speeches.
- Republican National Committee - Official site for the Republican Party.
- Science.gov - Portal to U.S. government science information, databases, and websites.
- Smithsonian Institution - Home page for the Smithsonian Institution complex.
- Social Security Online - Retirement, disability, medicare, and business services.
- Supreme Court Collection - The Legal Information Institute offers Supreme Court opinions under the auspices of Project Hermes, the court's electronic-dissemination project.
- Supreme Court of the United States - The official site for the U.S. Supreme Court.
- TEX: Taxonomy for Education and eXploration — Integrative Center for Homeland Security
- Features over 9,000 documents that represent the best in homeland security studies, including a terrorism- causes, roots, and theories section.
- Terrorism and National Security Links - Scroll down to the Terrorism section.
- THOMAS - Legislative information on the Internet.
- How Our Laws are Made
- Resources for Legislative Researchers
- The United Nations - The official homepage of the United Nations.
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics - International education profiles of countries.
- U.S. Department of State - U.S. foreign policy information.
- U.S. Department of the Treasury - Resources on economic policy, financial markets and institutions, international standards and codes, and tax policy.
- U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) - Trade information including U.S. imports and exports data and industry and economic analysis.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission - The official site for the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- The White House - Access briefings and speeches, photos and videos, progress on the issues, and information on the white house, its staff, and the federal government.
- Our Government - Explains how federal, state, and local governments work and links to more resources.
- World Development Indicators - Over 1,000 development indicators for countries from the World Bank dataset.